Monday 2 June 2008

Corn on the Cob with Herby Butter

Pin It Now!

I think the best corn on the cob is done on the BBQ. Tonight was just not the night to wait for coals to heat though. There just wasn't enough time, as D. goes to a guitar class on Monday nights. So I tried a Paul Rankin recipe, that I found on the BBC food website. The corn is done on the stove top instead of the BBQ and both D. and I really liked it.

The lemon adds a nice zing and finishing the corn of in a griddle pan still gives you the lovely charcoaled bits on the outside. I used lemon thyme as I had no fresh chives. I think I might try adding some garlic next time for even more flavour or maybe even some chili flakes. The possibilities seem to be endless, but the recipe is really good as it is....

Photobucket

Corn on the Cob with Herby Butter

2 corn on the cob, husks and skins removed
2tbsp butter
1/2 lemon, juice off
2tsp chopped chives
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Cook your corn on the cob in salted water for about 5 minutes. Drain.

Heat a griddle pan to a medium heat and add the corn. Griddle for another 7-10 minutes, turning regularly.

While the corn is in the griddle pan, heat the butter, lemon juice and chives in a pan until the butter has melted.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

When the corn is done, remove to a plate and drizzle with the herb butter.


21 comments:

Rosie said...

Oh this is just so tasty and I just want to sink my teeth into that corn - great pic too, makes it even more tempting!!

Rosie x

Deborah said...

I'm actually quite intrigued by this version on the stove. It would be great for the rainy days when you don't want to go out and bbq!

Jan said...

I love love love sweetcorn! Looks great Sylvie!

Melissa said...

I LOVE when corn is in season!

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Good evening Sylvie!
thanks for the recipe it's really delicious!
Silvia

Jan said...

I bought some corn on the cob at the store today, so I'm going to try this tonight. Thanks, Sylvie.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Only 2 more months left till corn on the cob season:D I have bookmarked this recipe to try:D

Jules said...

I love corn on the cob, and the herby butter sounds delicious.

Angela said...

I have around 15 plants in the garden, I can't wait for them to produce juicy sweet cobs. This will be one of the things I do with them.Thanks Sylvie

Raquel said...

Mmmm, Sylvie! That looks great. We love corn on the cob here. Will definitely try that as dragging out the grill is such a big production. I never would have thunk of doing it that way!

RecipeGirl said...

What a great idea to add lemon juice to corn on the cob. I would have never thought to do that. Can't wait for our summery season!

Finla said...

O do agree the best corns are done in barbacue.
In india they do it in road side and when it is finishes they rub the corn with leamon.

Anonymous said...

Sylvie,
This is the kind of recipe one really needs to have especially when its raining all the time - a bit of summer on the hob!

Sylvie said...

Thanks for the great comments everyone. It's much appreciated that you take the time to post them!

Susan Morris said...

What a lovely recipe Sylvie. We BBQ ours during the summer months I wrap them in foil adding the butter and seasonings and cook them for about 45mins.
Your cooking them on the stove top sounds a good idea, I wil try that next time.

test it comm said...

That corn looks good. I am looking forward to fresh corn on the cob with butter.

Marie Rayner said...

Mmm...that looks good Sylvie. I can't wait for the corn I planted to mature so we can eat us some of this!

Lore said...

What a great idea to drizzle it with "herby" butter. Will try it as soon as I find sweet corn!

Suzana said...

I'm here sitting thinking how nice this must be, and how easy it sounds. A must try, really.

Maggie said...

The herby butter is an excellent idea.
I think we may be cooking corn on the cob indoors for a couple more days to come!

Abitofafoodie said...

I love corn on the cob but haven't had it for a while. I remember making a chilli, coriander and lime butter last year to go with it that was rather good. I'm really craving this now!