Saturday 6 June 2015

Spanish Green Beans and Tomatoes

Pin It Now!

Admittedly I'm not usually the biggest fan of green beans, but every now and then I buy them and this time I had a bunch that were given to me by my neighbours A and G as they headed off for a week in sunny Bilbao. 


In homage to their Catalonian holiday I made them into Spanish Green Beans and served them alongside griddled chicken and some oven potato wedges for a simple dinner and I actually really enjoyed them. I even went back for seconds. 




Spanish Green Beans and Tomatoes (serves 3-4 as a side)

A dash of olive oil 
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
400g green beans, topped and tailed and cut into 3cm lengths
1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
20g pine nuts
Juice of half a lemon
1tsp of sugar (optional, but it cuts through some of the acidity of the tomatoes) 
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Heat a little oil in a heavy based pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for a minute or so. Add the beans and continue to stir for about 4 minutes. 

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook for around 25-30 minutes, until the tomatoes have reduced and thickened and the beans are tender, stirring regularly. 

3. Remove the bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!

No comments: